20160307

Amenities and the Open House

My Sunday was spent at a volleyball tournament out of town. I thought at one point I could sneak out to see an Open House or two, but my daughter played too many matches and the outing never materialized. As I drove back toward Sonoma, I wondered what my blog post would feature since I had missed the inspiration in the weekly Open House. With my daughter sleeping in the backseat, I thought about all the homes I've visited. What made the good ones memorable versus meh? I figured it out. The thing that made an Open House memorable was the amenity.

The dictionary defines an amenity as: something that makes life easier or more pleasant. So yes, the amenity or thing that made the house more pleasant was what made a home memorable. Early in the 20th century, indoor plumbing or electricity were amenities, but as we have modernized our amenities have changed and become truly luxurious. Below is a list of amenities I've seen:


-Swimming pool       -Bocce Ball court                -Artist Studio
-Sauna                     -Hot Tub                            -Tennis Court
-Outdoor Kitchen     -Fire pit                             -Wine Cellar/cave
-Koi Pond                 -Game Room                      -Bonus Room


By Vic Brincat from Keswick, Ontario, Canada
The most common amenity is the swimming pool. While I do live in California, I do not live in the warm coastal region, but the cooler wine growing region. A realtor friend of mine told me that swimming pools are not seen as amenities in this cooler climate. While I hear his words, I honestly feel a bit happier and more relaxed in those homes where aqua waters beckon in the backyard. A pool makes a home feel like a small resort and everyone likes a resort living.

Game rooms are probably the next most common amenity I've seen. I only count them as such when they are a separate living space above a garage or detached from the house. When a home owner has converted a dining room to a game room, I never see it as an amenity, but instead a smaller house.

The bonus room is tricky. Realtors seemed to call it a bonus room when the space is not something that could be permitted as living space. I've seen rooms in sub-floors with ceilings that top out at 5 feet and stair cases roughed into attic areas. I would never call these types of bonus rooms amenities. The only time I would call a bonus room an amenity is when a prospective buyer could actually use the room, stand in it and feel comfortable. Low ceilings or nails poking in from the roof are not bonus rooms but should simply be labeled storage areas.

By Exscape Designs (Own work)
Outdoor kitchens seem to be gaining in popularity. The ever present backyard grill has matured and is now joined by a counter top and outdoor fridge with a seating area. Sometimes these outdoor kitchens are custom built and other times they are large pieces purchased from a home improvement store. Like the swimming pool, the outdoor kitchen screams resort living and can be enjoyed by all ages.

I look forward to next weekend and lining up my Open House visits. Perhaps my amenity list will grown. In the meantime, tell me: what is your favorite amenity?






No comments:

Post a Comment