20160316

Wet Cat Food on a Wet Day

Earlier this month I was invited to be a guest contributor to the mortgage website BeSmartee. It was my first hurrah away from my home blog. The column I wrote was easy advice for hosting open houses entitled "10 Things You Shouldn't Do When Holding An Open House", or simply Open House Dont's.

This past weekend I visited two open houses and through my visits could add two more tips to my Open House Don'ts: don't leave out wet cat food and don't hover.

Wet Cat Food
I've been to many open houses where I've encountered cats. I typically get one stern look from the cat as it scurries off under a bed or behind a piece of furniture. The run-ins are quick and harmless.The first open house I visited on Sunday had a warning taped to the front door. The rumpled piece of paper dampened by the rain put visitors on notice that cats were in residence and were not to be let outside.

I entered on alert for the cats. The felines never appeared through the entire visit, but what hit me the moment I walked into the house and stayed with me after I left was to smell of wet cat food. If one were to list scents that are objectionable, wet cat food is quite high along with fish, onions and dirty socks. The house looked like it had new carpets, but I could only smell the cat food. These particular cats were well loved in the home and had water dishes and food bowls in multiple rooms. The home owners may be great pet owners, but the food bowls should have been emptied and cleaned in favor of the three hour open house.

Hovering Realtors
I mentioned in my BeSmartee column that you want prospective buyers to feel free
to roam your house and open closets and kitchen cabinets. A realtor hovering and following one from room to room does not put a buyer at ease. The second home I visited on Sunday was empty, and I was the only one visiting the house on the rainy Sunday. The realtor followed me from room to room questioning my interest in the house. I know it's rude to spend time on your smart phone while in the company of others, but I would've felt better if he stayed in the front room and with on his phone rather than hovering.




No comments:

Post a Comment